I visited Arlington on Memorial Day - but not only to visit the Cemetery - but to be there for the Laying of the Wreath on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. At the crack of dawn (after accidentally falling back asleep) I received my wake up call from Logan saying they were waiting for me to start the trek to Arlington Cemetery.
We made it to the Visitor's Center where they had literally THOUSANDS of various colors of roses for all to take (for free) to lay on the grave and also to keep for a memory of the day. They were absolutely beautiful... And one thing that I thought was sooo thoughtful was the fact that they handed out a little flyer (my immediate thought was that it was so EVERYONE knew who donated the flowers), but it was solely to tell people to take some and lay them on the grave. It was such a thoughtful gesture that it made tears come to my eyes.
We then hopped in line to take the shuttle up to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It was a LONG line - and it was SUPER HOT - but we finally made it.
We were able to get into the actual amphitheatre and see in person the President of the United States.
Here are a couple of pictures of the event! It was amazing!
Michelle Obama made it there as well! I just never thought that I would be that close to the President and his wife.
It was a wonderful way to remember the sacrifices some have made so I can enjoy the freedom of America.

No comments:
Post a Comment