Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Museum? No, I went to the NEWSeum!

So, I attended a members only Open Vault night at the Newseum. It was so much fun! I wish that I would have taken my camera because some of the displays were amazing and hilarious!

The event welcomed the new CEO of the museum and it was a fond farewell to the old. They had cheese and dessert bars and quite a few people! Of the museum only three (3) levels where open but the set up of the actual museum allows you to see a tad bit above and below you.

I saw a moose character head that was used in an SNL skit. I saw a DOW Jones scroll from the day that President Kennedy was shot. It was pretty neat to see part of the Berlin wall that is on display there as well although I couldn't actually stand in front of it (it was below us).

My favorite part of the night was viewing the Pulitzer Prize photograph gallery. The story behind how the image was captured by the photographer was just as amazing as the image itself. Some of the pictures brought tears to my eyes and others feelings of an overwhelming sense of gratitude for where I live and what I have.

After checking things out my friend and I decided it was time to grab a bite to eat. He had been wanting to try out this Mexican place up the street a little bit and I was all game! Little did I know what an interesting place it would turn out to be!

On the menu they had fried pork belly, grasshoppers, tongue, sushi and other delightful choices. We ended up trying a stuffed pepper, fried pork belly, tongue and a delicious mushroom taco! I am sooo tempted to get the grasshoppers - but I ended up chickening out at the last minute! OH well - there is always a next time, maybe when the parents come for a visit... he he he....

It was a fantastic night and I can't wait to go back to the Newseum to check out the other exhibits!

No comments:

Post a Comment