Thursday, December 8, 2011

Friends

Day 26 - What do you think about your friends?

When I think of all the friends that I have had in my life, so many faces and memories run through my head. And I realize just how many people I have gotten to know over time and just how lucky of an individual I am to call them friend.

One of my earliest memories of friendship was a touching one - one that I reflect upon often. I had this friend named Stephanie and I was talking to her about going to church and being in Primary. That was when I found out that she wasn't a member of the same church that I was and therefore I thought that meant the friendship must end. I remember crying all the way home and my mother promptly asking what happened.

I informed her of Stephanie's religion and explained how I thought it meant we couldn't be friends anymore. I know that my mother could have laughed and just told me to grow up or something... :) But she didn't.....

Instead, she pulled me over to the table and sat me down and explained that it doesn't matter what religion, race or lifestyle a person was - as long as they treated me well then they were true friends. I happily went to school the next day and explained everything to Stephanie and apologized - we happily held hands as we ran into class and things were great!

At a young age, my mother knew the importance of what a true friend should be to me and taught me what to look for. I know that my family and some friends would agree that I have not always picked the best friends, but I believe that there is good in everyone. Sometimes it is through some strong and bitter walls that you have to help peel off or break down before you see the person that individual can really become or who they are deep down inside.

I know the importance of friends and how they can be the support one needs just to hold themselves together.

I know that friends quickly forgive and love us even when we make childish mistakes.

I know that friends will really tell us exactly what we need to hear - even when it is hard.

I know that friends shape us into better individuals and teach us things about ourselves that we didn't know or couldn't see.

I know that I am grateful for the friends I have made over the years and I hope that as they see me, my friends will be proud of the individual they helped shape over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment