Monday, February 15, 2010

"A, B, C, D...."

I have been playing and singing in the Dementia unit at work and there is something that always amazes me. I learned about this in college from one of my professors, but didn't really believe him until now.

When I am playing and singing some of the traditional songs, the residents can sing them word for word. And then two seconds later won't even remember their own name! Music helps the right brain and the left brain work together - which makes it harder for somethings to be forgotten.

I remember in highschool and college putting things I needed to remember to a song. There are songs for our A, B, C's and the States. We can go our entire life and most likely will not forget those as they are deeply ingrained in our brain.

I had a teacher in Jr. High that would play Jazz music during tests and quizzes as it helped students relax and "let the brain ooze the right juices."

I believe that music is a very powerful tool. We see that in movies - we wouldn't know there was a scary part coming if it wasn't for the music. We see that in commercials - we all know the T-Mobile chime. We see it in the stores - music now has a warning label if it is considered violent. We see it in our everyday lives - there is always a song that fits the mood we are currently in.

Alright - I am headed to bed! Planning my trip to Utah! So excited...

1 comment:

  1. Wahoo! Don't forget to let us know when you will be here because we really want to see you!!!

    ReplyDelete