Monday, October 26, 2009

Alzheimer's Walk

A couple of weeks ago I was able to participate in the 2009 Alzheimer's Walk. Words cannot express the feeling I felt that cold morning. There were 2,400 walkers that signed-up, but only 1/3 showed up due to the cold and wet weather. I will admit that I sorta tried to talk Erin (who brought Alesa) out of actually walking, just get the t-shirts and leave. After listening to the story of a 53 year-old with early on-set Alzheimer's my attitude changed.

I thought of "my" residents and what they must be experiencing. I thought of a resident who always asked me when her mother would pick her up and if I had talked to her. I was reminded of another resident who is slowly forgetting how to walk. I realized that I should forget about myself!! I was there because Alzheimer's is an UGLY disease that needs to be stopped! I was there in support of the research to find a cure for this disease! I was there not for myself but for my resident!!!

My attitude changed at that point! I left "me" behind at the start line and "WALKED TO END ALZHEIMERS!"

I pushed Alesa, with Erin following behind, through the slow walkers and made little goals to reach the final three mile FINISH line! There were tears in my eyes as I looked at the fellow walkers and saw the "in loving memory of" signs they wore bearing the name of a relative or friend. This was my second walk and it won't be my last! I want to thank all those who donated for me individually and my team!! We did GREAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment