The summer is almost over! Honestly, I don't think that I have ever had a summer literally fly by as quickly as this one has. By this time next week, my fun roommate Ashley will have moved back to Utah and most of my summer intern friends will be preparing to leave as well.
I guess that I have been doing a lot of thinking lately ("...a dangerous past-time, I know" - 10 pts if you can name where that quote is from!).
I realized that I am going to be 27 in a month and a couple of days... Crazy, right!? I have seen many friends finish college, get married, start a family, and I have been feeling like I am a step behind.
College - I love learning, just not in a school setting. I am constantly being told by my friends, co-workers, residents that I need to finish my degree. I don't disagree with them but if they knew the extent of my hatred of tests and being told what to read and study they would see my point. I LOVE learning and trying new things, I love school when I don't have to stress about a test (which is usually the first week). It sounds like I am making up excuses, I guess in a way I am, but I just hate school. Why can't they have a college where you don't have tests!? I am a terrible test taker!!!
Marriage and Children - Well, I am not going to be having either of those in the near future (sorry Mom and Dad). Okay, is it because I don't feel like I am ready to take the step? Not really - it is a scary step to take, but with the right person can be an adventure right? Then of course there is a whole person who needs to be included in this equation... Hmm.... Interesting....
Children - Those of you who really know me, know that I am not good with little children. :) I am good at shopping for clothes or purchasing a toy or two every now and then, but I just don't know how to entertain a child. It is a weird feeling when you look around you and all of your old roommates, friends, co-workers, sisters are having children and you are sitting on square one still. It often reminds me of Phase 10, when you are stuck two phases behind and everyone continues to move on ahead. I have gotten use to the fact that I may not have children of my own, my eternal phase 9.
Upon reviewing what I have written, this almost sounds like a pity party! Please, Please... No pity party intended!!! Overall, I am in a good spot. I like who I am becoming and know that I still have a lot of learning and growing to do. College will be starting again for me soon. Mr. Right?? He is either out there thinking of me or waiting for me in the skies above (Sheri Dew said she was going to marry Captain Moroni, well I am getting one of his Stripling Warriors then)!
Life is good - Life is Great! - Life is Beautiful!!!
The Bridge Over San Luis Rey
2 years ago

HAHAHA you make me laugh. I feel like this summer has flown by as well, it is crazy how fast time flies by the older you get. And speaking of getting older, I think you and I are on the same phase. You would think with all those years of us playing phase 10 as teenagers that you and I would have it down on how to move on to the next phase, but some how we got stuck. . . or I like to think we are just not moving on because we like being in this phase, maybe we are on the phase, seven cards of one color, that one was always my favorite, hard to get, low points, but always fun to be on, but happy to move on as well. If you get my drift.
ReplyDeleteThere is a time and a season for everything, you aren't stuck you are exactly where you are supposed to be, at least you have phases to look forward to, I feel like "been there, done that" now the only phase I have is death and that is not appealing to me in the least. Oh and for the ten points - Beauty and the Beast. This is Mel by the way I am just on Mom's Computer,
ReplyDeleteI love your blog, your insights, and your family. You all crack me up! Melanie is right- You are right where you are supposed to be. Aren't we all?
ReplyDelete